Thursday 13 February 2014

Make Up Studio: Creating the effect of Illness.

Having researched the various illnesses that were around during the Victorian Era, in this weeks practical with Sue, we were taught how to create the effect of Fever.  I really enjoyed this Special Effects lesson, and I really feel like it will benefit m greatly when it comes to creating my Miss Havisham character.

Creating Fever

Products Used:

Kryolan Supracolor Palette
Duo Glue
Glycerine
Translucent Powder
Water Spray
Stipple Sponges
Round Brush

Sue's Demo




1.  To start the look make sure the face is thoroughly cleansed and moisturised, there is no need to apply a base for this look and we want our models to look pale, to add to the 'ill' look. 

2.  Take your Supracolor Palette, and apply a reddish tone underneath the eye with a small round brush, apply this right up to the bottom docket of the eye and blend well.  You can blend with your fingers as long as they are clean, if you're having difficulty blending the product, take a little bit of moisturiser to help you blend. 

3.  Next, take a brown shade from the palette and use this to enhance the bone structure of the face.  You want to place this colour under the cheek bones, down the sides of the nose, around the temples and under the jaw.  Make sure this brown colour is obvious, but blended out very well. 

4.  To add an ill flush to the face, I mixed the two shades of red from the palette on the back of my hand and dabbed this onto the face with my fingers, I also applied this to the forehead and to the neck.  Add this slowly, building up as you go along to create the most realistic look possible. 

5.  To create the effect of dry, cracked lips, Sue taught us a new method of using Duo Glue.  Duo Glue dries clear and allows you to manipulate it after to create cracks.  Ask you model to shut their mouth, the take some duo glue with a small brush or a cotton bud and apply this where necessary to the lips.  After the glue had dried, I ripped it slightly, being careful of my models lips underneath.  To make the lips look sore, I took a red colour from my Supracolor Palette and applied this lightly over the glue.  You can also add some powder the make them look very dry. 

6.  To finish the look,  I took my stipple sponge and dabbed some glycerine on the face to give the effect of sweating.  I also took a water spray and sprayed this around the hairline, to wet the hair as this is a place sweat is often most prominent. 






No comments:

Post a Comment