Friday 31 January 2014

Cold, Romantic and Eccentric Hair...

To get some hair inspiration for the characters I am going to recreate over the coming weeks, I joined a social networking site called Pinterest.  So far, Pinterest has really helped me in finding some unusual and unique ideas for styles that I could create for Miss Havisham. The link to my pinterest is displayed on my blog.

After our seminar with Seema this week we were given a creative task, focusing on three themes/words that are relevant to Great Expectations, we had to find hairstyles that we believed reflected these themes/words.  My chosen words were Cold, Romantic and Eccentric. 


Cold


I chose this style to represent the word cold because I think it's quite a harsh hairstyle, to me there is nothing soft about this style, the hair is very flat to the head and has a cold looking sheen covering it.  I could imagine Miss Havisham incorporating a slight touch of this hairstyle to her overall look, as her style is messy but also slightly polished, which represents the different sides of her personality.  The cold side of her personality comes through particularly with her hatred towards men after she was jilted at the alter.

Eccentric


Eccentric is a word that really stood out to me, both with Miss Havishams style and her personality. Having been stuck in her mansion for many years, both hidden from daylight and interaction with the outside world, she is not only mentally broken but her style has become very messy and 'eccentric'.  I chose this image particularly because of the large shapes, bright colours and unusual materials around the face. I will take into consideration using colour when re-creating my Miss Havisham look, as I feel this will create a completely unique portrayal.

Romantic 


Image Credit: All images available from Pinterest.

Although from her portrayal in the Film and TV series, Miss Havishams hairstyle does not at first seem romantic, you have to remember that she was jilted on her wedding day when the style would of at first been beautiful, flamboyant and romantic, particularly as she had the money to be extravagant. However, as she has stayed in her wedding dress and maintained her hairstyle for many years, it would have started to decay.  To me the word 'romantic' defines soft styles, the large waves in this image emphasise this soft kind of style.


No comments:

Post a Comment